We understand that trauma plays a central role in the development and perpetuation of addictions and mental health issues, and when unaddressed, greatly increases the risk of relapse. We take a trauma-informed approach to treatment and draw upon trauma therapies like cognitive behavioral therapy.
Our clinicians help clients identify trauma and effectively treat it by creating comprehensive, customized treatment plans with therapeutic approaches that address each client’s underlying trauma, which can be a significant barrier to recovery. Speak Confidentially with a Ranch Recovery Advisor at 844-876-8685.
The Role of Trauma in Addiction and Mental Health Disorders
Many individuals with addiction and mental health issues have a history of trauma tied directly to their present-day struggles. Yet, ironically, this connection is not always apparent to the client. A trauma-informed approach to drug and alcohol rehab recognizes that many clients’ symptoms result from having been traumatized and the ways they coped in its aftermath. While these coping methods may have been adaptive and worked for a time, they may have become problems in their own right, as is often the case with substance use that morphs into an addiction. Learning about trauma and its role in fueling and maintaining addiction provides a foundation for comprehensive and integrated treatment.
Trauma-Informed Care at The Ranch Pennsylvania
Successful treatment of those with co-occurring addiction and/or mental health issues and trauma histories requires approaches that address both simultaneously. Clients learn addiction and trauma recovery skills and receive treatment for their mental health concerns as well. They are encouraged and taught skills to take control of their lives and their symptoms to reverse fear, despair, shame and helplessness. Our approach to treatment is collaborative and respectful of the individual. It includes:
- Educating clients about the connection between trauma, substance abuse and the development of psychiatric symptoms or problematic relationship patterns, including difficulties with intimacy
- Applying specialized trauma-focused treatments like cognitive behavioral therapy
- Providing an empowering environment where clients uncover their own strength to work through past struggles and face future challenges
- Emphasizing the importance of the mind-body connection through methods such as mindfulness and other contemplative practices and physical activities including outdoor adventure therapies
- Emphasizing the importance of overall healthy living and functioning that addresses clients’ spiritual, physical and emotional needs and includes attention to proper nutrition, fitness and other elements of self-care
- Developing clients’ problem-solving skills, personal assertiveness and communication skills, and increasing their self-trust and self-esteem
- Introducing clients to alternative ways to self-soothe using methods other than substances or behaviors that are self-destructive
- Drawing connections between clients’ past and present, helping them reduce shame and develop resiliency
It is not unusual for those who have trauma histories or symptoms of post-traumatic stress to get blamed or stigmatized for their symptoms rather than understood. Their family members and significant others are also often affected by their distress and may not know how to help. The Ranch Pennsylvania alcohol and drug rehab clients receive treatment that is respectful and compassionate, designed to offer healing, information, connection and hope to clients as well as to the significant people in their lives. Healing occurs best in connection with others. Our staff is trained to model and teach relationship skills and uses group therapy formats to practice skill-building. The intention is for clients to have a broader range of relationships skills that they can apply as they leave the structure and support of the treatment setting. Speak Confidentially with a Ranch Recovery Advisor at 844-876-8685.